Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Luck of the Irish!


One last hurrah of my study abroad experience! I can honestly say that the best was saved for last! This was my favorite trip and favorite place (besides Rome, Rome doesn't count because it became my home). Ireland was definitely on my list of places to go, but I didn't know if my funds would be sufficient to get me there. I knew I would regret it if I didn't go, and I am so glad I did. I can't wait to go back someday. Ireland is exactly how I pictured it, so green and peaceful, and with the friendliest people I have ever met, so happy and jolly. They definitely know how to have a good time. The accents are also very alluring. Then there's the whole singing thing, live music and singers present in every pub. I can see how people fall in love with Irish guys (I might have watched the movie P.S I love you too many times), not to mention Ireland itself! 

Caitie and I left for Ireland on our last Ryan-air flight for awhile on Thursday night (Nov. 29th). We started our Irish experience a little early with a little Jameson whiskey on the plane. We got in pretty late, and headed straight to our hostel because all the pubs we passed were already closed for the night. With only one day in Dublin, we hit the ground running with a tour of the Guinness factory when it opened at 9:30 am. We might have been the first ones in line. The factory is shaped like a giant Guinness glass, and the Guinness in Ireland just tastes so much better in Ireland. After this we headed to Kilmainham Gaol. This jail played an important part in Irish history with many leaders of Irish rebellions were imprisoned and executed there by the British. Children were arrested and held there for stealing something as small as bread, or other petty thefts. The youngest prisoner was said to be five years old. Today it is one of the biggest unoccupied gaols in Europe, and rumor has it (by a lady on the tour) that it is the most haunted jail in Europe. Several movies have been filmed at Kilmainham (like The Italian Job, and several others). Touring the jail gave me goosebumps, and seeing the courtyards where the executions took place were especially haunting. After this, we walked around Dublin towards the Temple Bar area in search of the famous Temple Bar where we had the best nachos, some Bulmers, and enjoyed the live bands! After this we said goodbye to Dublin much too soon, but headed on a bus to Galway. When we got to Galway, Caitie and I did a little shopping, and both got Claddagh rings, which originated in the village of Claddagh, a part of Galway City. An interesting fun fact, all Claddagh rings have to be inspected in Dublin, and marked with an engraving inside the band before they can be sold. We spent the night in typical Irish fashion, at the pubs. 

Kilmainham Gaol
at the Guinness Factory, Dublin

bright doors of Dublin
Saturday morning was my favorite day of my study abroad experience- it was no joke- the perfect day. Caitie and I woke up early and walked to Salthill beach, where there is a 2km promenade. It was the perfect start to the day, watching the sunrise over the bay. There was so much seaweed, (and nerdy, I know), but it was the best smell ever! I wish I could have bottled it up and brought it home with me. A light house on an island off the bay was one of the last things that the Irish saw during the potato famine, when they left the country by boat. After this, Caitie and I went on a bus tour to the Cliffs of Moher. This was without a doubt, the best money we spent in Ireland. Our bus driver was so great, we learned so much as he shared interesting facts with us the whole drive. We had several stops along the way to look at castles, dry stone walls, a famous restaurant for lunch (where we had beef and guinness stew that was to die for!), and to admire one of the largest tomb stones in Ireland. 40 people were excavated from a single tomb. We had exceptionally good weather for the Cliffs, which made it that much more magical. Words cannot even describe, you'll just have to see them for yourself. And if that's not possible, the cliffs do make an appearance in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince & The Princess Bride! That night we joined a "12 Pubs of Christmas Pub Crawl" with some new friends that we met, although we didn't get the memo about dressing in Christmas attire. 

Dungiare Castle
one of the largest tombs in Ireland
Salthill Beach


seaweed
Cliffs of Moher 
I wasn't ready to go back to Rome home. I can't wait to go back someday. 

So that's all I know for now! 




No comments:

Post a Comment